Selling alcohol to minor?!

Question: Selling alcohol to minor!?
If I was set up and got fined for selling alcohol to a minor that was part of a sting can the owner of the store sue the minor for attempting to buy alcohol!.

Sometimes in the stings they use people who really are under age!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

It depends on the state!. I know in IL the "decoy" has to be under 21 but not younger than 19!. They can't use an ID that says they are of age!.!.!.it has to be THEIR own ID and if the barender asks them if they are 21 they can't lie!. Its entrapment!.!. There also has to be a witness in the bar at the time of the setup and they can't sit next to each other!. The witness also has to order an alcoholic drink!. In the end of it all i'm pretty sure you CAN'T sue because if you made the sale then you broke the law!.

i know the whole setup thing is a really shady operation!. I'm a bartender and last summer an older man came in and asked for a water and menu so i gave them to him and then 5 min girl came in and ordered a beer and i asked for her id while i walkd over to the cooler and got it!. She sat down RIGHT NEXT to the older guy!. She handed me the ID and i had the beer up on the bar with my hand around the bottle and never pushed it towards her!. I handed the ID back and told her to leave!. 5 minutes later cops came in and arrested me for serving a minor!. I never served her!. Look up the law in your state law books or the local city ordinances can be found at city hall or the local libraryWww@FoodAQ@Com

You know, you can sue for anything in America- but you aren't likely to win in a situation like this!. The problem is that even though you would be set up, if you were to sell to a minor it implies that this is your normal mode of operation and that you regularly would do so!. That means even if this was the one instance where for whatever reason you conceded, the law will likely assume that this is just the instance in which you were caught!.

If I were you, save the suit money and get a defense attorney!.!. Www@FoodAQ@Com

This is a good question!. Actually I am pretty sure you will only get find for selling to a minor if the person used in the sting is a minor!. if you intentionally sold alcohol to a minor then no because they will probably be be under some kind of protection from the police due to the fact that they are working for them!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

nope the minor CANT get in trouble, they are working with the police and getting paid to try to buy alcohol/cigs and they are a minor!. The owner will not sure anyone! You will get fined, the owner and the store will get fined and you will be fired!.

i know from personal exp!. from working as a cashier at a grocery store, managers tell us this all!Www@FoodAQ@Com

No they can't!. Think about it why would they volunteer to act in this sting if they knew they were going to be charged for a MIP!? also if you sold to a person that was of the appropriate age then you could not get in trouble for selling to a "minor"Www@FoodAQ@Com

The owner could not sue the minor, no!. The government would be behind that because they are breaking the law against the government, not the store!. And since the government used them in a sting, they wouldn't press charges!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

There is no way that the owner can sue the kid because the owner needs to ask for ID and if he does sell it to the minor than that criminal charges for the owner!.

Good luck but i don't think you have a case!.

Take care!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

No the owner cannot just because the laws that are in place for the owner to check all IDs for anyone who looks under the age of 27!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

That's why you should check their ID!.

The owner has no case!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

No, you could be fined up2 $5000 though!. all the owner could do is refuse sale!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

The consumer Foods information on is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions.
The answer content post by the user, if contains the copyright content please contact us, we will immediately remove it.
Copyright © 2007 FoodAQ - Terms of Use - Contact us - Privacy Policy

Food's Q&A Resources