Can moonshine make you go blind?!

Question: Can moonshine make you go blind!?
can homemade achool make you go blind!?!!!? and how much will it takeWww@FoodAQ@Com

yes and it can kill you if distilled incorrectly the desired outcome is ethanol!.!. and if distilled at the wrong tempature the outcome is methanol aka methyl alchohol/ wood alchohol

"One of the common symptoms seen in methanol poisoning is permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve!."Www@FoodAQ@Com

Moonshine will not make you go blind!.

People used to make moonshine in old radiators, pipes, and drums that contained lead!. Lead poisoning can cause blindness, but because they got lead poisoning from moonshine[without knowing it was contaminated] they thought the alcohol was just so strong it caused blindness, but in actuality it was caused by the lead content!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

Home distillation is illegal in the US!. Actually its illegal worldwide except for Australia and New Zealand; it may be poorly enforced in rural parts of the world but still is technically illegal!. Atleast, to my knowledge!.

Anyways, when you distill a fermented bevereage your goal is to essentially remove the water to increase the proof of the drink!. The trouble is that ethanol, the alcohol you want, boils at 174F!. Obviously water boils at 212F!. But there is also a compound formed called methanol which boils at 148F!. When you distill it, the first part of the product will be largely methanol -- as it is the first to enter a gaseous phase!. Next up is the methanol!. Then finally you have water!.

The way you would distill this is to simply toss out the first batch, since its mostly methanol!. Methanol, of course, is a poison and WILL in fact BLIND you, but generally you simply die!. The next part will be largely ethanol, towards the end you will start to get mostly water!. At that point you should simply discard what you are boiling as you have extracted most of the alcohol worth getting to!.

But with this technique you will get methanol in your product!. It is hard to figure out when you have methanol and when you have ethanol!. You could err on the side of caution but you will discard a lot of perfectly good drinking alcohol!. But if you want to maximize the drunkeness, you also maximize the blindness and death!.

Depending on which part of the distillation process you drank, I could see you dying with as little as 1 shot!. The first part I've been referring to is generally called the "heads!." A shot of that should blind you, at the very least!. This isn't one of those temporary blindness things -- like alcohol makes you temporarily blackout!. You will stay blind, provided you live to tell the tale!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

What is Distilling!?
The distillation process is actually pretty simple!. As you slowly heat a mix of different chemicals, the ones with the lowest boiling point boil off first, leaving the others behind!. The part of a still called the "condenser" cools the evaporated vapor, making it condense back into a liquid!. This is how gasoline is made from crude oil, and how whiskey is made from beer and brandy from wine!.!.!.which is what we did here!.

Is it legal!?
In a word, NO! The only countries we could find in which it legal to distill alcohol for drinking at home are New Zealand, Austria and Italy!. If anyone has more information about home alcohol distillation laws in different countries that we can include on this site, please Email Us!. HOWEVER, please note that as far as we can tell, there is no US law against performing chemistry experiments that involve the distillation of alcohol!. Almost every chemistry set in the world provides the apparatus for distillation, plus the experiment guide for distilling wine into brandy!. The key is DON'T DRINK THE RESULTS, and for darn sure DON'T SELL THEM! Measure the alcohol content of your brandy, and dump it down the drain! Or take it outside, put it in an old coffee can, and carefully light it on fire!. also, in the USA it IS legal to build a still and make alcohol for motor fuel, you simply have to apply for a license with the Federal Beareu of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and promise them that you'll add some poison to any alcohol you make to render it toxic for drinking!.

Is it safe!?
The simple "still" presented the page is very safe--UNLESS YOU DRINK THE RESULTS!. In that case, you are on your own!. The design presented here eliminates any explosion or fire hazard!. More complex stills intended for producing larger quantities of drinking or fuel alcohol can be VERY dangerous!.!.!.alcohol vapor and liquid are flammable and can explode on contact with open flames!. If there is no pressure relief valve on a common still and the condenser tube gets plugged up from improper technique, the entire still can explode from high pressure and kill you!. If you intend to build a real home still instead of our simple chemistry demonstration, be sure to thoroughly research the design and process using our distillation links below!

Is the "Brandy" made on this page safe!?
Probably not!. So, DON'T DRINK IT! PLEASE!. BUT, there is one important factor to keep in mind! Distillation does NOT make any new chemicals or poisons during the process, it simply separates the chemicals that are already there in the wine!. So, drinking the 2 oz!. of distillate produced by distilling 1/2 a gallon of wine would have exactly the same effect on you as drinking the 1/2 gallon of wine itself!. Methyl Alcohol is toxic (it can make you go blind!), and it is one of the first things that boils off in the still!. SO, THE FIRST RUNNINGS FROM A STILL ARE NON-DRINKABLE!. The reason people get hurt with home stills is because of drinking just these first runnings, or the last runnings!. Personally, I can't imagine how anyone could possibly get this stuff past their nose into their mouths! It smells HORRIBLE, like acetone and denatured alcohol, and you would have to be a fool to drink it! Commercial distillers' procedures make an effort to get rid of the methyl alcohol, but this simple project certainly does not get rid of it all!.!.!.but to reiterate, there's no more methanol in the distillate than there was in the wine in the first place!. But still, DON'T DRINK IT! You can safely dip your finger in it and taste it with your tongue!. Www@FoodAQ@Com

If somehow you end up with methyl alcohol, which is poisonous, you could be in for a very bad time!. Methyl alcohol is the stuff from which antifreeze is made!. The kind you can drink is ethyl alcohol!.Www@FoodAQ@Com

Yes, if it is distilled incorrectly to get methanol!.Www@FoodAQ@Com




no thats just stupidWww@FoodAQ@Com

The consumer Foods information on is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions.
The answer content post by the user, if contains the copyright content please contact us, we will immediately remove it.
Copyright © 2007 FoodAQ - Terms of Use - Contact us - Privacy Policy

Food's Q&A Resources