What is shmear?!


What is shmear?

I know that it has something to do with bagels but what is the origin of the word? I heard Ryan Seacrest discussing this question this morning on Kiis FM, LA. Different people called in with their thoughts but I didn't get to hear it all. So, what do you think?

Answers: schmear
Thought to have come from the Yiddish word shmirn ("to smear or grease"), the word schmear is used in the culinary world to describe a dab of something like mayonnaise or cream cheese that's spread on a roll, bagel, etc. More recently, cream cheese is combined with flavorings such as onions, garlic and bell peppers to create a spread that's commercially packaged as a "schmear." It is a Yiddish word. It means to spread something such as shmearing cream cheese on a bagel. It is basically cream cheese. They have it at Einstein's. It comes in a lot of varities.

The consumer Foods information on foodaq.com is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions.
The answer content post by the user, if contains the copyright content please contact us, we will immediately remove it.
Copyright © 2007 FoodAQ - Terms of Use - Contact us - Privacy Policy

Food's Q&A Resources